As a kid, I loved books. And within the protected walls of one of my dearest (longest, actually!) friendshps-we'd spend hours reading and talking about the characters we befriended in our books. We were just talking this week about this series I was FULLY engaged with: Lurlene McDaniels wrote all these books about kids who battled cancer, and one trilogy was about this girl who fell in love with an Amish guy. This Amish guy would ride his bike to the hospital to spend time with her as she was going through chemo-like he was legit ALL IN and was such a gentleman.(SIDENOTE-do those really exist anymore?!?!) Coincidentally, I currently have a pseudo crush on the 15 year old Amish boy who loaded up the corn into my car at the Amish food stand. Not really, but kinda. Like, duh, he's way to young. Yeah I get it.
Fast forward through school. Growing up means movies, television series.
But I still liked books. John Grisham. We read this Ethan Hawke book, I remember it being scandalously wonderful. Then I found Hot Zone, Richard Preston. There's an adventure!
I found myself thinking about all these books as I was driving home today. I'm not sure if I caught something on the radio that prompted these thoughts, or maybe just my own brain. But I remember reading all these....well stories.
And I thought about my story. Here I am, 31. Is my story a good read? Is this what I wanted my story to be, in this chapter? Who's helping me write this book?? I'm not sure when I prayed the prayer, which seemed oh so cliche...but I know I said it-"Lord I just want to help people." I've prayed quite a bit for my now family, but, too, for my future family, my future husband. I've prayed quite a bit for all the people I've met as I've served on the mission field short term, but, too, for my future contacts if God should lead me back to the mission field. I've prayed quite a bit for the people I work with and spend my normal working hours helping, but, too, for the people that God has yet to bring across my path.
An answer to two of my bigger prayers would seemingly be nice any day, Lord. Do you want me to get married? Do you want me to be on the mission field? Like those are big deal things, can't you open doors or just guide. Nudge. Hint. Anything. Where do you want me?
Having grown up in the church. Gone to a Christian college. Been surrounded by Christian friends. Read, studied, prayed, and pondered God's word. All these things, I feel, perhaps, hypersensitive to the thought of wasting the time I've been given. In my work, its reality, that sometime life throws you lemons and changes fast. I've watched very very dear friends struggle, big time, for real.
And what has now been 2 years, God continually reminds me to just be still. To be content. The here and now. What He's given me now, is just what I need. And it seems so simple.
It's Friday night. I had a good day at work. I heard the words "thank you" from a patient today-that's echoed long past the time they walked away with their prescription. The back door is open at my mom's house, I hear the crickets. The sunset was beautiful. I took a long hot bath and there's a solid roof over my head. My best friend comes home from three looong years in Africa in just 3 weeks! I know I have people that love me. But, most of all, I know whatever the future holds, is in the hands of the one who knows all the quiet wants and desires in my heart. And who remains faithful day to day. And although I can't recall even just one book that told a story kinda like mine (...what princess waits til they are turning grey to find a prince?? Can adventures really begin by having to saying temporary goodbyes to people you love??)....I am eager to keep reading. I love, well nearly all, the people God has brought along my ride with me. He's certainly been faithful in giving me plenty of opportunities to help! I still have lots to learn. Just like Anne with an E :) Certainly a good chapter is coming soon!
Babysitters club: this included the Little Sister series, the regular series (like what-100 books??), the Mystery series, the Super Specials....I had that section covered at the Library.
Boxcar Children.
The Mandy series.
Lurlene McDaniels
I did like Beverly Cleary.
For the longest time I loved this book called "Nothing but the Truth", by Ali. Like his name was just Ali.
Fast forward through school. Growing up means movies, television series.
But I still liked books. John Grisham. We read this Ethan Hawke book, I remember it being scandalously wonderful. Then I found Hot Zone, Richard Preston. There's an adventure!
I found myself thinking about all these books as I was driving home today. I'm not sure if I caught something on the radio that prompted these thoughts, or maybe just my own brain. But I remember reading all these....well stories.
And I thought about my story. Here I am, 31. Is my story a good read? Is this what I wanted my story to be, in this chapter? Who's helping me write this book?? I'm not sure when I prayed the prayer, which seemed oh so cliche...but I know I said it-"Lord I just want to help people." I've prayed quite a bit for my now family, but, too, for my future family, my future husband. I've prayed quite a bit for all the people I've met as I've served on the mission field short term, but, too, for my future contacts if God should lead me back to the mission field. I've prayed quite a bit for the people I work with and spend my normal working hours helping, but, too, for the people that God has yet to bring across my path.
An answer to two of my bigger prayers would seemingly be nice any day, Lord. Do you want me to get married? Do you want me to be on the mission field? Like those are big deal things, can't you open doors or just guide. Nudge. Hint. Anything. Where do you want me?
Having grown up in the church. Gone to a Christian college. Been surrounded by Christian friends. Read, studied, prayed, and pondered God's word. All these things, I feel, perhaps, hypersensitive to the thought of wasting the time I've been given. In my work, its reality, that sometime life throws you lemons and changes fast. I've watched very very dear friends struggle, big time, for real.
And what has now been 2 years, God continually reminds me to just be still. To be content. The here and now. What He's given me now, is just what I need. And it seems so simple.
It's Friday night. I had a good day at work. I heard the words "thank you" from a patient today-that's echoed long past the time they walked away with their prescription. The back door is open at my mom's house, I hear the crickets. The sunset was beautiful. I took a long hot bath and there's a solid roof over my head. My best friend comes home from three looong years in Africa in just 3 weeks! I know I have people that love me. But, most of all, I know whatever the future holds, is in the hands of the one who knows all the quiet wants and desires in my heart. And who remains faithful day to day. And although I can't recall even just one book that told a story kinda like mine (...what princess waits til they are turning grey to find a prince?? Can adventures really begin by having to saying temporary goodbyes to people you love??)....I am eager to keep reading. I love, well nearly all, the people God has brought along my ride with me. He's certainly been faithful in giving me plenty of opportunities to help! I still have lots to learn. Just like Anne with an E :) Certainly a good chapter is coming soon!
i love ann with an E :)
ReplyDelete