Sunday, February 26, 2012

Hittin the trail!

What an absolutely beautiful February Sunday! I hope I never become numb to the joy in a sunny day. I certainly know my dear Charlie always appreciates the sun, especially when he gets to spend some quality  outdoor time with his best doggie pal Sid. I love those two dogs so much. Sigh, melt my heart.
So in desperate efforts to get readers on this blog (okay, that's a lie), I promised I would blog about my running adventure. So for the millions of readers out there who are interested in my slice of life....and I don't openly spill  whatever is rumbling around in my head to you in person, here's the scoop. I needed a project, a head distractor if you will. On my pseudo-bucket-list, that does not really exist, includes running a half marathon. I've done my handful of 5K's, did a 10K, did the Akron Relay...so this is the next step. My goal is to run the Canton Half Marathon...aww I could hear all the virtual applause. Riiiiight. 


So, because the good Lord has been awful kind in encouraging me on this journey by giving me lots of nice weather winter weekends (WWW?), the process has begun. 
These are my happy running thoughts now:
1. After I run, I am quite certain I could conquer the world. Like move a mountain. There's a handful of people that feel these happy endorphin and enkephalin feelings after a great spinal adjustment...but I'm quite certain nothing compares to that feeling after a long run, especially outside.
2. I love that time outside listening to my music. This is an appropriate time to give a shout out to Enrique Iglesias, many a time he has reminded me that "You can run, you can run, but you can't escape my love." I believe him now. Side note. However, I'm eating dinner with Beth right now, and she's claiming she has some sort of pull on him. Now I'm angry.)
3. I love my time with my fellow running friends. It gives me all sorts of warm fuzzies how many of my friends are running this race also. It's created a fun community, I sure do appreciate their encouragement as I find myself outside my comfort zone as the training gets longer. I'm quite blessed to have such cool friends!
4. I love how much Charlie loves running. Just like a happy parent, I love seeing him happy. And, exhausted at the end. Sigh, I love Charlie anyways, anytime, all the time. What a good doggie he is!
5. I enjoy crossing things off a list. I like being able to objectively measure improvement. 


My not so happy thoughts would be:
1. I do not like you, treadmill. I also do not like you work, when you distract me from my running goals. Please both of you take note. 
2. Running is not an excuse to eat cupcakes at work. I believe that logically, but have been unable to put it into practice.
3. 13 miles seems like an overwhelming distance to me, still. I'm weak. But I can do it, I tell myself! 


So a runner I will be, a runner I will be, hi ho the dairy o, a runner I will be.


Hittin the trail had multiple meanings, I'll post again after a bit :)
Andrea



1 comment:

  1. You inspired me Monday night to run 4 miles at 10:30pm. . .wanted to stop after 3, but couldn't let you down (in my head at least)! Need to sign up for Canton but the end of March to get discount. Love you and your wisdom my friend!

    ReplyDelete