So. It's Friday night. After a loooong day at work. I'm quite content enjoying reruns of The Office, a very cheap glass of wine, and my recent (yes Shannon, insert compulsive) buy of Scooby-Doo fruit snacks. I sorta do get excited if my little bag of treats has the neon green Mystery Machine, I've only had one Mystery Machine in the three packs I've enjoyed from this box over the last few days. Rip-off? I think so.
Even though my bible study friends last night allowed Jerry (the otherwise kind, jovial, retired pastor) to claim I got "hideously defensive" during a recent discussion on the importance of mentoring and being mentored...I will still dedicate this post to you. Lovingly tagged as BS, for bible study of course!
Tonight I will recap a few important blog-worthy notes scribbled in my journal from bible study.
1. Eugene Petersen describes Christianity as obedience in the same direction over a period of time. It makes me think back to one of my favorite hymns, Come Thou Fount...prone to wander, Lord I feel it! We expect mountains and valleys, we get distracted, but we must press on, forgetting what is behind, goal oriented, staying faithful. We should think longitudinally.On an ironic note, I've been reading up on Margaret Clarkson, the author of that hymn. Her very first words as a child were "my head hurts," that whole sentence. She lived a life of disability and incredible pain, yet penned such beautiful hymns. I've been inspired and humbled.
2. Vocabulary word of the week: De rigueur-prescribed or required by fashion, etiquette, or custom. All things de rigueur have allowed (1.) people of walmart, and (2.) awkward family photos to be two of my favorite internet time wasters. I challenge you to try and use that at least once in the next week!! (Jess W-G: Click for pronunciation fun just for you: http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=de+rigueur&submit=Submit)
(I will get better about quoting Jerry specifically. Look for that in the future.)
3. A short history lesson on....Casper Milquetoast.
It's fun to learn new things. So here's just another Jerry-ism that will make you sound quite intelligent (and highfalutin!!) in your next random conversation.
My summary: Casper Milquetoast was a timid comic strip character from the early 1900's. He was described by the comic maker as "the man who speaks softly and gets hit with a big stick." His last name is a deliberate misspelling of Milk Toast, a food often eaten by people at that time who had a sick or sensitive (nervous, weak) stomach. Our American English picked up on this characteristic and adopted the word "milquetoast" to mean "weak and ineffective" or "plain and unadventurous."
So after a quite energy draining kind of day at work, that is a perfectly acceptable summation of my night, quite milquetoast :) Here's to the hope that the weekend treats you well! Happy Friday!
Even though my bible study friends last night allowed Jerry (the otherwise kind, jovial, retired pastor) to claim I got "hideously defensive" during a recent discussion on the importance of mentoring and being mentored...I will still dedicate this post to you. Lovingly tagged as BS, for bible study of course!
Tonight I will recap a few important blog-worthy notes scribbled in my journal from bible study.
1. Eugene Petersen describes Christianity as obedience in the same direction over a period of time. It makes me think back to one of my favorite hymns, Come Thou Fount...prone to wander, Lord I feel it! We expect mountains and valleys, we get distracted, but we must press on, forgetting what is behind, goal oriented, staying faithful. We should think longitudinally.On an ironic note, I've been reading up on Margaret Clarkson, the author of that hymn. Her very first words as a child were "my head hurts," that whole sentence. She lived a life of disability and incredible pain, yet penned such beautiful hymns. I've been inspired and humbled.
2. Vocabulary word of the week: De rigueur-prescribed or required by fashion, etiquette, or custom. All things de rigueur have allowed (1.) people of walmart, and (2.) awkward family photos to be two of my favorite internet time wasters. I challenge you to try and use that at least once in the next week!! (Jess W-G: Click for pronunciation fun just for you: http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=de+rigueur&submit=Submit)
(I will get better about quoting Jerry specifically. Look for that in the future.)
3. A short history lesson on....Casper Milquetoast.
It's fun to learn new things. So here's just another Jerry-ism that will make you sound quite intelligent (and highfalutin!!) in your next random conversation.
My summary: Casper Milquetoast was a timid comic strip character from the early 1900's. He was described by the comic maker as "the man who speaks softly and gets hit with a big stick." His last name is a deliberate misspelling of Milk Toast, a food often eaten by people at that time who had a sick or sensitive (nervous, weak) stomach. Our American English picked up on this characteristic and adopted the word "milquetoast" to mean "weak and ineffective" or "plain and unadventurous."
So after a quite energy draining kind of day at work, that is a perfectly acceptable summation of my night, quite milquetoast :) Here's to the hope that the weekend treats you well! Happy Friday!

No comments:
Post a Comment