Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Eclectic Ramblings

A special Pi Day shout out to Phil Young, who I know doesn't read this, but is the coolest math guy I know. Thanks for letting me skip lots of classes in high school to hang out in your room.


Running.
I've knocked down  4 and 5 miles since we've last shared about running. We've had such beautiful weather. I'm not loving my shoes. My reward for completing 6 miles is new shoes, so I'm expectantly waiting for Sunday's run to be over. Had a cruddy run yesterday...the whole training thing reveals some definite highs and lows. It's not a good feeling when you just don't cut it one run, it feels yucky. Thankfully good runs weigh out the bad runs. Charlie is enjoying the running adventure also...thankfully mom has allowed the twin mattress I put in my old room to remain as his bed. A king like Charles needs his rest after his exercise. In lieu of cross training tonight....Rachel, Shannon, and I did some hip hop aerobics. So loved it! Who doesn't need a little more hip hop in their lives???


Sunshine.
How I have so loved this warm weather! From Sunday til today, it's been so nice. It's funny, the sunshine gives me lots of motivation to clean my apartment and do little projects. Yet sitting in my office with piles of charts and paperwork in front of me, has not produced the same productivity. I think as a nation we should celebrate sunshine more...only work til 12. Would my patients come see me starting at like 6 just so I could leave by 12 or 1. That would be an ideal story.  Buuuut anyways, back to the sunshine. Sara and I took our dogs to the farm last week, and Grandma's crocuses and tulips were starting to bloom! My old boss used to tell the cute old ladies in the fall to schedule their next appointment "when the crocuses start to bloom." That always made me smile!  




Interesting fact about Sodium. And bread, darn. 
So it's hit the news that the biggest source of salt in the American diet is bread and rolls...not chips and snacks. According to the Center for Diseases Control, nine out of ten adults eat too much salt. So the reports say, bread has twice as much sodium as salty junk food. Time to work hard on knocking bread.


Health Care Conscience Rights.
This is a special section for Rachel, yet a pertinent read for anyone interested in how the government may affect your medical care. If you've paid any attention to the news, you're aware of the "contraception mandate-" making virtually every insurance plan responsible to dispense emergency contraception including the morning after pill. As liberal media has covered this, you may initially think (appropriately so, really) that if people on government insurances such as Medicaid and all managed Medicaids get free contraception, it's only fair that those of us who work and pay for our insurance should have access to free contraception, too. Especially as women-right!?! Men can get their contraception over the counter, but women must have a full, invasive exam and get a prescription. Not fair-right??? Unfortunately, not so easy. This is the big picture. The government cannot interfere and tell a healthcare provider (or insurance company) what they should or shouldn't do...the underlying concern is the conscience rights of the health care provider. And that's a real big deal. There's been times clinically that I've been in a position where I'm not comfortable and I've deferred care to another provider. Not because I've been a poor provider or I didn't have enough knowledge or skill, because I felt that I was being presented with a situation where I was uncomfortable with what was being requested of me from my patient. The government does not have the right to invade my rights as a provider and mandate I (or insurance companies) do or don't do something. There was a very interesting case out in California (and I apologize that the details are a little fuzzy) where an infertility clinic, as a group practice, made a decision to only intervene with "invasive" methods for infertile women if the child was being brought into a family-meaning a husband and wife." You can imagine what this created...yet, what do you think. Is it not part of working in a free market to have the ability to do or don't do what you choose. The government should not have a place in the practice of medicine. Don't get me started on how they fail with Medicare...or how about drug formularies for our Tricare (military patients), or possibly how it's near impossible to get the VA system to communicate with primary care providers. Limit thyself, oh government :)
The value of material things. Such as Fords.
This may be one of my last posts as a Ford owner. This makes me happy. The process of car shopping/figuring out the whole car stuff...not my cup of tea. I think fondly of Nepal...I'd love to just ride my bike around my village and to my friends house. And to have all my dear friends just a bicycle ride away, that's a happy thought!!


As a closing note, I will admit I still love DC Talk. And I'm not ashamed. And really, I still love Michael W. Smith, too. Any recommendations for my iPOD running list???...going to work on that this weekend! Since today felt quite like summer...here's my last plea (for the day....!!!)...Come on you two, think beach!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment