Monday, May 28, 2012

Power Food!!

I wanted to share a quick recipe with y'all. This is my new "power" food, and for sure going to be on my menu the days before my race. (Baaah, I never thought I'd say I had a power food, thats for sure!!!) I made this last Wednesday night and proceeded to eat it Thursday and Friday...and post run Saturday. I felt SO good when I was running Saturday (well until about mile 11.5, but thats expected)...and I think I'm going to point to this dish as why. Healthy eating makes such a difference!! And this tastes so good-I probably used 3 more limes than what it called for, so fresh and tasty! It tastes a bit like a chipotle burrito bowl, but much lighter and fresher!

Mexican Black Bean Salad
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 1 1/2 cups cold water
  • 2 cups (1 can) cooked black beans. If using canned beans, drain and rinse well
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced OR 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced, OR 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 1 carrot, peeled, halfed lengthwise, sliced thin diagonally
  • 1 cup chopped fresh yellow or green beans
  • 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
  • 1/2 cup green peppers, diced
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • 1 medium ripe tomato
  • 1 cup chopped cucumber
  • 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, or more!
  • Dressing:
  • 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice (juice of 1 lime....or 5-6).
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • Fresh ground pepperen pepper, diced
     
  1. Rinse quinoa and drain through a large fine mesh strainer. (This can be made ahead of time)
  2. Place in a 2 qt pot with 1 1/2 c. water and 1/2 tsp salt
  3. Bring to a full boil, cover tightly, turn down to low, and cook for 15 minutes
  4. Remove from heat and allow to sit 5 minutes covered
  5. Fluff quinoa gently with a fork and set aside to cool
  6. If using canned beans, drain, rinse and set aside to drain
  7. Sauté jalapeno, fresh garlic, in 1 tsp olive oil until garlic is slightly browned
  8. Add the celery, carrot, green beans, green & red peppers and sauté 5 minutes
  9. Add the cumin and coriander, cook and stir 2 minutes. I also threw in some more garlic powder.
  10. Blend dressing ingredients with a whisk or shake in a jar
  11. Add quinoa, black beans, sautéed veggies, tomatoes, cucumber, fresh minced cilantro or basil, scallions, to a large bowl
  12. Pour on dressing and stir gently to combine. Adjust salt and pepper to taste
  13. Serve quinoa salad warm, or cover and chill.

I didn't remember to take a picture until my last bowl....so this picture doesn't quite do it justice. There was quite a bit more fresh veggies. Give it a try!


No comments:

Post a Comment