I'm now writing as a half-marathon runner! Woooohooo!!
So let me preface this little blog-ditty by saying the running of any race is so mental. And the beauty of the Canton Marathon prompted LOTS of reflection-as my body struggled on all the hills and in the muggy heat. I'll summarize this post by saying the sight of the finish line was one of the best feelings in the world-hearing my name announced and knowing I'd reunite with my little running family as I ran into in the stadium and digging deep for the energy to give it my all at the end--I finished proud of myself and anxious to improve on the races struggles and push on!
Lots of things were happening in my head during the race. I couldn't help but think about Paul-we've spent the last 2.5 years in bible study in Philippians. "Forgetting what is behind and straining towards whats ahead. I press on to the goal!" Over and over I repeated Romans 8:37-I can OVERWHELMINGLY CONQUER! I tried to channel Isaiah-"I will run and not grow weary-" but then I had to give over to God that my running hasn't reached perfection yet, so I just may grow weary. I couldnt remember the verse, but somewhere in Hebrews it says "run with perseverance and keep your eyes fixed on Jesus." (tangent: Then I passed a Seventh Day Adventist church sign that said "Are you tired, rest in Jesus." It made me angry-so contradictory to the moment-ha!!)
That train of thought brought me to one of my favorite chapels at Cedarville. The Shepherds home choir-a Christian long term facility for the mentally disabled/retarded came to put on a concert. They closed their concert with the old hymn "It will be worth it all...when we see Jesus.." And I couldn't help but get emotional during the race. My lands, my eyes welled up when I saw my mom and Shawn along the race cheering for me!!
But the training, and the discipline to reach the finish line strong- in life-it's real. It has it's blessings, but it's hard, too! Sometimes one day at work can feel like a "marathon", a relationship that is hurting can feel like a marathon as you ache for resolution, praying and desiring that full contentment and patiently waiting for God's answers--thats how it feels at mile 4 when you know you have 2.5 miles of hills to climb, (and seeing some 70 year old run faster than you.)-and the thought of that finish line kept giving me hope!!
I'm not exaggerating-the site of the finish line was an amazing feeling! Reuniting with my little running family, getting some solid food, knowing what I accomplished. Sleeping so sound and hard after. All good things! Ironically-I (God) found myself in Ecclesiates Sunday during my quiet time-and how fitting:
I think that encapsulates my first half marathon (and a handful of other life experiences) very well. The patience to get to the finish line meant throwing away some pride. And giving me hope to keep working towards!
I apparently got a case of the bends after the race. Bahhhh. Now on to new blogging topics...I'm thinking my top 30 before my 30th birthday-experiences. life lessons. Happytimes. I'm sure you'll wait in eager anticipation.
So let me preface this little blog-ditty by saying the running of any race is so mental. And the beauty of the Canton Marathon prompted LOTS of reflection-as my body struggled on all the hills and in the muggy heat. I'll summarize this post by saying the sight of the finish line was one of the best feelings in the world-hearing my name announced and knowing I'd reunite with my little running family as I ran into in the stadium and digging deep for the energy to give it my all at the end--I finished proud of myself and anxious to improve on the races struggles and push on!
Lots of things were happening in my head during the race. I couldn't help but think about Paul-we've spent the last 2.5 years in bible study in Philippians. "Forgetting what is behind and straining towards whats ahead. I press on to the goal!" Over and over I repeated Romans 8:37-I can OVERWHELMINGLY CONQUER! I tried to channel Isaiah-"I will run and not grow weary-" but then I had to give over to God that my running hasn't reached perfection yet, so I just may grow weary. I couldnt remember the verse, but somewhere in Hebrews it says "run with perseverance and keep your eyes fixed on Jesus." (tangent: Then I passed a Seventh Day Adventist church sign that said "Are you tired, rest in Jesus." It made me angry-so contradictory to the moment-ha!!)
That train of thought brought me to one of my favorite chapels at Cedarville. The Shepherds home choir-a Christian long term facility for the mentally disabled/retarded came to put on a concert. They closed their concert with the old hymn "It will be worth it all...when we see Jesus.." And I couldn't help but get emotional during the race. My lands, my eyes welled up when I saw my mom and Shawn along the race cheering for me!!
But the training, and the discipline to reach the finish line strong- in life-it's real. It has it's blessings, but it's hard, too! Sometimes one day at work can feel like a "marathon", a relationship that is hurting can feel like a marathon as you ache for resolution, praying and desiring that full contentment and patiently waiting for God's answers--thats how it feels at mile 4 when you know you have 2.5 miles of hills to climb, (and seeing some 70 year old run faster than you.)-and the thought of that finish line kept giving me hope!!
I'm not exaggerating-the site of the finish line was an amazing feeling! Reuniting with my little running family, getting some solid food, knowing what I accomplished. Sleeping so sound and hard after. All good things! Ironically-I (God) found myself in Ecclesiates Sunday during my quiet time-and how fitting:
Ecclesiastes 7:8
The end of a matter is better than its beginning, and patience is better than pride.
I apparently got a case of the bends after the race. Bahhhh. Now on to new blogging topics...I'm thinking my top 30 before my 30th birthday-experiences. life lessons. Happytimes. I'm sure you'll wait in eager anticipation.


No comments:
Post a Comment