Saturday, June 16, 2012

So, you're stranded on a deserted island...

Tomorrow is the day! 

It does kind of feel like I'm throwing myself into my own version of a deserted island...or Hunger Games if you will. But for this version, I have a team. I feel prepared knowing the people I have around me are perfect for what I know is ahead of me. (but I really don't know what is ahead-only heresay!).
So, a few words about my team.
1. Shannon. Everytime I run with Shannon, I have a reason to keep running. She's like a sister to me, family. So I feel if she gets out of my sight, there's this almost motherly instinct that I need to find her and get to her. But that aside, she's been with me the last 3 years as we've grown into people who enjoy the journey of running. I couldn't run a milestone race, like my first half, without her close by.
2. Dr. Kontak. I begged him to do this race. At first I wanted him to trot along beside me, even though his athletic prowess far trumps my own. However, I'm simply ecstatic he'll be closeby. He's an overcomer. He believes in goals and tries to achieve them pro-actively. We've been through the mud together and both came out alive on the other side. I'd for sure always pick him to be on my team! And he likes to claim he's a leader-which I do believe he is. So if I needed to rally my troops on the desert island (maybe to Overthrow the Careers when we're battling at the Cornucopia for our bow and arrows?!!)-I know without a doubt, Dr. Kontak would be the one to give us the ingenious idea that makes us triumphant.
3. Nate/Jess-they count as one. Nate running, Jess cheering. When two became one a handful of July's ago, this duo together represents my longest friendship. Together their wit and humor would keep me content for days-for sure never lacking conversation. Not only would their friendship prolong survival, their innate knowledge of wilderness may help. I could picture Nate figuring out how to camouflage himself and Jess into a stream or the forrest like Peta, actually. 
4. The wolf pack. Kim, Dana, Lisa, Jon, Dave M. The wolf pack knows the strengths and weakness of their fellow wolves. They also know the wolf packs support will ensure they will finish the race. They've been on the island before, and battled successfully. 
5. Mom, Rob, Sara, Steve, Melissa, Beth, Shawn, Rachel. They are the ones sending the special packages from outside the arena. In the form of cheers and encouragament. I predict right when I need it most, I will find their special packages. 

The only thing missing is Charles...I still haven't figured out how he fits in yet. He's anxiously awaiting this little part of my life to be over so he can go jogging with me again!!

I think I'm excited. But I'm nervous. My clothes are laid out. I'm going to call myself near ready. Just need sleep, and relaxed calves. Tomorrow is the big day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment