Today is first full day that my doc is on vacation. It really started yesterday at 12.
In order to prepare, I took a nice long bath last night, went to bed early (and only watched about one quarter of the basketball game), laid all my clothes out (even a necklace!!), woke up early, went and got the staff some breakfast, and I was ready to conquer the day.
I always get behind with patients because I'm chatty. No suprise. Even on days I'm supposed to be speedy.
The morning starts, and a mean grouchy old man comes in, wants me to write pain meds. I politely decline until I get a little more information on his story, and he opts to yell at me, storm out of the office, letting the door slam. Created. A. Scene.
However.
Just after that, I go in to see one of my most cherished patients...a sweet little 80+ year old. She's in quite often thanks to her "ticker" (heart) as she calls it, so we get to share lots of life's little ups and downs as the seasons change. She likes to bring me old Dear Abby columns to read, mostly about fashion from ages ago. She always takes time to ask me how I am before she tells me how she is, and always reminds me on days that seem busy at the office that she appreciates that I made time for her.
So today-she absolutely blessed my heart. She brings her church directory that has multiple pages earmarked in, and puts it on the desk and proceeds to tell me- "I think I know how we can find you a husband." She then tells me this very dear story how her dear friend (who is 90) had a daughter who met her husband on a dating service (they've been married 25+ years)...and how she thinks that is the place I might have some "luck." She gently tells me, the reason you're heart is taking so long to heal is just evidence that you have heart, and thats something you should never ever regret.
So she slides the church directory over to me, attaches a few emails she's printed off from her friend, and tells me "when you're ready, maybe you can try that out." But I'll need that directory back at some point.
So, be sure you take good church directory photos :)
This is why I just love family practice. Relationships are priceless. Her genuine affection for me was just "what the doctored ordered" for this crazy day.
In order to prepare, I took a nice long bath last night, went to bed early (and only watched about one quarter of the basketball game), laid all my clothes out (even a necklace!!), woke up early, went and got the staff some breakfast, and I was ready to conquer the day.
I always get behind with patients because I'm chatty. No suprise. Even on days I'm supposed to be speedy.
The morning starts, and a mean grouchy old man comes in, wants me to write pain meds. I politely decline until I get a little more information on his story, and he opts to yell at me, storm out of the office, letting the door slam. Created. A. Scene.
However.
Just after that, I go in to see one of my most cherished patients...a sweet little 80+ year old. She's in quite often thanks to her "ticker" (heart) as she calls it, so we get to share lots of life's little ups and downs as the seasons change. She likes to bring me old Dear Abby columns to read, mostly about fashion from ages ago. She always takes time to ask me how I am before she tells me how she is, and always reminds me on days that seem busy at the office that she appreciates that I made time for her.
So today-she absolutely blessed my heart. She brings her church directory that has multiple pages earmarked in, and puts it on the desk and proceeds to tell me- "I think I know how we can find you a husband." She then tells me this very dear story how her dear friend (who is 90) had a daughter who met her husband on a dating service (they've been married 25+ years)...and how she thinks that is the place I might have some "luck." She gently tells me, the reason you're heart is taking so long to heal is just evidence that you have heart, and thats something you should never ever regret.
So she slides the church directory over to me, attaches a few emails she's printed off from her friend, and tells me "when you're ready, maybe you can try that out." But I'll need that directory back at some point.
So, be sure you take good church directory photos :)
This is why I just love family practice. Relationships are priceless. Her genuine affection for me was just "what the doctored ordered" for this crazy day.
No comments:
Post a Comment